Safety & Tips
Safety & Tips Archive: Current Selection:
February's Arson Prevention Tips
February is Help Fight Arson Month
What is Arson?
Arson...a word which should strike fear into all of us. It signifies destruction, devastation, and death. Arsonists deliberately set fire for profit, revenge, hate, thrills...and it is a major criminal activity in Michigan.
Arson burns everyone. The Michigan Arson Prevention Committee was formed to coordinate an attack on arson. Representatives from fire and police services, the insurance industry, business and government have been combining their efforts since 1973 to put a stop to arson.
Protect your home by doing the following:
- Keep your yard well lighted.
- Always lock your doors and garages
- Keep your property free of trash or debris
- Let neighbors know when you plan to leave for extended periods. Ask them to report suspicious activity to law enforcement.
What can you do?
- If you know about an arson, provide the information to the Arson Control program or contact City of Detroit Fire Department Fire Marshal Division/Arson.
- Teach your children not to play with fire, and educate them about the dangers of playing with matches and lighters.
- Educate yourself about current arson related legislation, and find out who to contact to get these and other laws passed.